Do I Need An Alcohol Licence For My Outdoor Wedding in The UK?

our blog

Do I Need An Alcohol Licence For My Outdoor Wedding in The UK?

In Events, Wedding Reception

If you’re getting hitched in the summer, an outdoor wedding can be a magical experience that you and your guests will never forget.

However, one thing that many people don’t know is whether or not they need an alcohol licence for their outdoor wedding.


After all, it’s not the first thing to come to mind when you’re planning your big day, but it is something to be aware of so that you don’t get any nasty surprises on the day!


Do I Need An Alcohol Licence For My Outdoor Wedding in The UK?

The answer will depend on several factors. If you’re going to be serving alcohol for free, then, fortunately, you don’t need a licence.

However, if you’re going to be charging for it, you will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). Fear not though, they’re actually very easy to get thanks to the Licensing Act 2003.

Often, if you’re running a paid bar, the company organising it will take care of all of this for you, but if you do need to get one sorted for yourself, here’s everything you’ll need to know.


Obtaining a Temporary Event Notice

First things first, make sure to make your application in plenty of time. Even though there’s a million and one things to get sorted before your big day, you must have submitted your notice at least ten working days before the wedding, so be sure to be prepared.

Start out by visiting the website of your local borough council (which you can find by entering your postcode at


Once there, find the Temporary Event Notice application form (which is fairly straightforward) and return it back to them along with the £21 fee.


Once everything has been approved, you just need to make sure that a copy of the TEN is clearly displayed somewhere, just to make sure there are no problems.



There likely won’t be any problems with your application, but there are a couple of grounds on which the council can object to your TEN, which they must do at least three days before the event.


The council will likely only object if they believe that the event could lead to crime and disorderly conduct, cause a public nuisance or be a threat to public safety, all of which hopefully shouldn’t apply to your wedding!

However, if there are any objections, then you can always appeal the decision to your local magistrate’s court.


While it is fairly easy to get a licence sorted, it’s understandable if you don’t really have the time, with all the other things you need to organise for your wedding day, so there are companies such as Hospitality Training Solutions who will help you take the stress out of the experience and sort whatever licence you may need.


Whether you apply for your own licence or let a third party take care of it, just make sure that it gets done, as the last thing you want is for your big day to be ruined by regulations and red tape!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*